Re: Banana Plug Tool

Help,

Once years ago I had to make a bunch of leads with banana plugs on one or
both ends and we had a very nice tool to do this with. I am about to make a
bunch more, but cannot find the tool or the special banana plugs that went
with it in any of our supply catalogs and I was hopping maybe someone would
know were we could get them. I will try to describe the tool:

First you would strip the end of your wire and thread that through a hole in
the side of a metal post at the back end of what would become the banana
plug. You would then slip the plastic cover of the banana plug over the
wire from the front or "banana" end and temporarily plug the "banana" into a
hole in a plate on your bench top. Then there was this screw driver like
tool with a wooden handle that was blunt on its business end with which you
would push the metal piece (threaded with the wire) down into the plastic
cover until it popped into place. This would locked everything together
securely and you were ready to go.

I am sure it was not a home made system both because of the way it looked
and because the banana plugs were clearly made especially for this method of
attaching the wires (no threads or screws). If anyone can help I would
appreciate it.

Professor Weaver

Physics Department
Towson University
8000 York Road
Towson MD 21252-0001

lweaver@towson.edu

Greetings-
I believe you are talking about the E. F. Johnson Co. patchcord stacking
plugs. I don't see the items listed in the current Newark Electronics or
Allied Electronics catalogs, but I'm sure they can get them for you. The
part number for the black plugs is 108-1083-001 and the red plugs
108-1082-001. They come as sets, the metal banana plug and the plastic
insulator. I don't have a part number for the tool, but that should be
easily obtained. E. F. Johnson is located in Waseca, MN. Don't know if they
sell direct - you might have to go thru a distributor.

Hope this is the info you were looking for.

Kate Cleary
University of Chicago
Physics Department
5720 S. Ellis Ave.