Re: A ball in a rotating dish

brian whatcott wrote:

I simply note that (in answer to Ludwik's second question)
no matter how fast a spherical bowl is rotated, the internal
ball goes nowhere when it hits the vertical surface until the
bowl shatters!

Yes, this is no longer a puzzle; the cos(TET) formula describes
the situation at TET=90 correctly. [90 degrees corresponds
to the largest distance r from the axis of rotation and the ball
would naturally stay at r=R for a very large f. The effect of
the rim is a different issue. Thinking about a dish deeper than
R helps to avoid this issue.]

But I am still stuck by what happens near TET=30 degrees.
I did watch a conical pendulum (slightly elliptical trajectories)
at very small TET; the mathematical formalism for the conical
pendulum is the same as for the ball in a spherical dish. Thus
something must be wrong in the reasoning below. What is it?

... To produce equilibrium, in the rotating frame, the
tangential component of the centrifugal force and the
restoring force must have the same magnitude.

m*v^2*cos(TET)/(R*sin(TET) = m*g*sin(TET).

Substituting 2*Pi*R*sin(TET)*f for v, leads to a relation
between the expected angle TET (position of the small piece
on the dish surface) and the rotating frequency of the dish.

cos(TET)=g/(R*omega^2)....

Something is not right; my formula does not allow for
f<1.114 (which is the frequency of the corresponding
pendulum). It also keeps the piece on the surface, no
matter how large is f. What is wrong?