From: paul o johnson <pojhome@FLASH.NET>
To: <PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 1999 11:35 AM
Subject: Re: Greenhouse Misconception

Rick Tarara wrote:

My take on some of these:

2) The misconception is that absorption by the glass in greenhouses is
the main factor
responsible for higher temperatures inside.
I always thought it was. What, then, is the main factor?

Convection, or lack thereof is apparently the major factor although I
still
use the greenhouse (with an appropriate disclaimer) when trying to
explain
the global greenhouse effect.

I don't follow you, Rick. I can see where the absence of convection would
keep
warmer air in the greenhouse (or in the lower atmosphere) but how does
such
absence cause that air to be warmer in the first place? Isn't that due to
solar
radiation into the enclosed space being greater than the air's radiation
out?

poj