Re: a practical physics problem with pulleys

At 04:05 PM 7/27/99 -0700, you wrote:
Would the vinyl blinds used in homes have a rope system equivalent
to what you want to do?

That system would do the trick, but it is inelegant because two ropes
would come down. I do have a scheme which would give me one rope and
a mechanical advantage approaching four. It relies on an instability*
that I know exists, but I won't know if it actually works until I try
it out at full scale. I was just hoping that someone here had solved
the problem already.

Why not just have the one rope go through all the pulleys you need to get
enough advantage to pull on a ring to which four other ropes are attached?
I could work up a quick sketch of the thing, I guess.

-G-
Gordon Smith
National Center for Physical Acoustics
Coliseum Drive