WINDS, was Hot air rising and automobile thermometers

A crate is "driven" along the floor by me. The net force is
zero because I am pushing just enough to balance kinetic
friction. It is a steady (equilibrium) situation as long as ...

The same is true for me pushing or pulling a boat. What is
wrong with applying the same kind of thinking to a parcel
of air? Is it true that the term "driven" should be used only
as a reference to the net force? Yes, I am seeking "to obey
Newton's first law of motion" in pushing a boat.

Leigh Palmer wrote:

It should be recognized by physics teachers that winds, to first order,
are not "driven" by anything. If a net force were present then a steady
wind would be impossible; the wind velocity would vary in time. The air
in a wind simply *seeks* to obey Newton's first law of motion. It moves
with a velocity such that the net force acting is zero!

The language being used here suggests that my earlier note about the
equilibrium state went unnoticed by some. Physics teachers are making
the classic student error of inferring the existence of a net force
by observing the velocity of a body rather than from its acceleration.

Think about it - again.