Re: A MISCONCEPTION ITEM

Ludwik

You've uncovered my ignorance on the following "Old Misconceptions". I
copy the ones that elicited a surprised "huh?" from me with my comments
under each:

2) The misconception is that absorption by the glass in greenhouses is
the main factor
responsible for higher temperatures inside.
I always thought it was. What, then, is the main factor?

3) Capacitors in series: the equilibrated charges are not equal in the
dc circuits.
What are "equilibrated charges"? Surely the charges on adjacent plates
are equal.

4) Melting of ice under skating blades is not due to high pressure.
Not even primarily? Do the metal blades conduct that much heat? Skate
blades cannot, then, be made of high-strength plastic because they will
stick to the ice.

7) Batteries are sources of charge.
Does charge, then, come from some other macroscopic circuit element?

10) Mechanical friction is not caused by surface roughness or
"interlocking asperites."
But surface roughness must be the leading "usual suspect". The
coefficients are certainly greater for rough surfaces than for smooth
ones.

14) The Earth's "N" pole actually resides in the southern hemisphere
I teach that the "N" geographic pole ain't but the "N" magnetic pole
sure as hell is.

19) Salt water contains no molecules of NaCl, it contains Na and Cl
ions
Not even when the solution is less than saturated?

20) Macroscopic light waves do not continue to propagate at c when they
enter a transparent
medium
Then why does the ratio c/v increase in such a medium?

poj
Collin County College