From: Ludwik Kowalski [mailto:KowalskiL@MAIL.MONTCLAIR.EDU]
Sent: Saturday, July 24, 1999 2:14 AM
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU
Subject: Re: Dangerous Ion Colliding Experiment? (Long - includes theory
o fthefield)

Hi Sam:
Last night, referring to

... This translates roughly into 2-3 GeV [per cubic Fermi] which
we believe is roughly high enough to trigger the"phase transition"
into deconfined [quark-gluon] matter.

I asked:

What is the basis of your belief? How confident
are you about the order of magnitude?

Let me ask an easier question about your valuable contribution.

You wrote:

The largest system we will be colliding will be Au nuclei. So
you can use the R = 1.2 fm (A)^1/3 to find the size of the system
(1 fm = 10^-15 m). It is very high density and subsequent high
temperatures in very, very small volumes for very,, very short amounts
of time. The quark-gluon plasma is predicted to live for only 10^-23 s

so we will only see the aftermath. One of which is increased strange
matter production but I will get to that below. The temperature of the

matter for the 10^-23 s will be very high. We will have in the center
of mass (or momentum) frame an energy of 100 GeV for every nucleon
(2 x197). One Kelvin is 1/40 eV, so the conversion is 1 trillion
Kelvins
or 1 x 10^12 K (if my math is right). This translates roughly into 2-3
GeV
per cubic fermi (fm) which we believe is roughly high enough to trigger

the "phase transition" into deconfined matter.

Reading this again I am not able to consolidate 100 GeV/nucleon
with 2-3 GeV per cubic fermi. (The volume of 2*197 nucleons,
under ordinary conditions, would be 2852 cubic fermis. The
combined injected energy is 100*2*197 =394000 GeV. This
would give 138 GeV per cubic fermi, about 50 times more than
what you show. My number would tend to be larger, not smaller,
if a compression of nuclear matter were allowed.)

What am I missing? Some kind of expansion rather than
compression? Or just a trivial error somewhere?

Ludwik Kowalski