Re: Dangerous Ion Colliding Experiment?

A student approached me after class today to see if I knew about an ion
colliding experiment that was supposed to begin today but was cancelled
due to a chance of generating a tiny black hole or strange matter.

This would certainly be a matter of grave concern if it were indeed a
significant likelihood. Someone who knows more than I do about black holes
could better answer whether such a thing could be expected to devour the
matter around it and grow.

However, we know collisions occur regularly in nature involving cosmic
particles with energies many orders of magnitude greater than human
scientists are ever likely to be able to produce. None of these has yet
produced an Earth-devouring event.

Chris Horton