Re: The importance of being pedant

At 15:47 7/21/99 -0700, Bill wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Leigh Palmer wrote:

Someone decided a long time ago that the three common states of
matter were solid, liquid and vapor. That's canonical; there's no
good reason to change our terminology.

If "vapor" means gas, then why do we say "water vapor" when we actually
mean "water gas"? ...

William J. Beaty

Though Bill was surely asking his question rhetorically, I
will put on my 'straight man' face and respond:
Water-gas is known industrially as an illuminant gas prepared
(if I recall ) by passing water over hot coal/coke.

(And yes, I DO remember the gas man walking around the district
and winding up all the clock timers on street gas light standards -
which surely places me beyond most readers' remembrance)

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK