Re: R: Re: A paradox? Why not?

I do not know about Delphi; is there a similar language for MAC
platforms? I would love to translate some of my True Basic codes
into a "universal" language and distribute them to students.

As far as I know, only those who have TRUE BASIC installed
would be able to run my programs. (I can give them either the
source code or its compiled representation.) The same would
be true for two other languages with which I am familiar,
FORTRAN and PASCAL. I am glad to learn that a universal
language exists for the Window machines. Is it a high level
language similar to FORTRAN, etc.?

Paolo Cavallo wrote:

Ludwik,

I really don't understand your point. Fifteen years ago I could choice to
"Compile to disk" my Turbo Pascal 3 programs: I would get executables that
ran on any DOS 3.3 machine. No more requirements than the right OS.

Today, I write programs with Delphi and I get Windows programs (16-bit or
32-bit) that run on any Win machine.

Sure, Basic applications used to be "interpreted" - that means that they
needed not only the right OS but also the right "interpreter". Maybe, you're
referring to such cases. But they are not compiled programs.

I hope that helps.

Paolo Cavallo