Re: Earth's Magnetic Field

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

paul o johnson wrote (addessing W. Beaty):

... William; your explanations are slowly opening
the door to understanding for me. ...

I feel the same way. Thanks.

Actually I think *I'm* benefitting the most. I accumulated lots of
separate factoids/concepts about the Earth's dynamo over the years, but
I've never been forced to assemble them into some sort of coherent
picture.

Has anyone heard the phrase "Sir William Thompson's Currnet Accumulator"?
Valone mentions it in his Homopolar book while quoting a Tesla paper. It
possibly referrs to a thought-experiment, not an actual device.

The electromagnetic "dual" of an electrostatic generator connected to a
Leyden jar would be a superconducting Faraday-Disk generator connected to
a superconducting coil. Turn the crank, and the "stored" direct current
would rise exponentially.

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com