From: JACK L. URETSKY (C)1998; HEP DIVISION, ARGONNE NATIONAL LAB
ARGONNE, IL 60439 [mailto:JLU@HEP.ANL.GOV]
Sent: Monday, July 12, 1999 1:35 PM
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU
Subject: Re: What is understanding?

Is there some sort of presumption that the converse of every
theorem
is true? Or, is "I breathe when I sleep", the same as "I sleep when I
breathe", to quote from Alice.
According to what I rememeber:
The quote of Feynman (advice to himself on his last blackboard) was
"What I cannot create, I do not understand." (Phys Today 10 years ago)

Does it follow that one understands whatever he/she can create?

Cary
***********************************
Regards,
Jack

"I scored the next great triumph for science myself,
to wit, how the milk gets into the cow. Both of us
had marveled over that mystery a long time. We had
followed the cows around for years - that is, in the
daytime - but had never caught them drinking fluid of
that color."
Mark Twain, Extract from Eve's
Autobiography