Re: Earth's Magnetic Field

William Beaty wrote:
Simple solution: during electric currents, the potential difference
applies opposite forces to opposite charges in the conductor, and if the
charges are free to move, then they do flow in opposite directions.  This
actually occurs in all everyday electrolytic conduction.  The opposite
currents do not cancel, instead they add together.  Positive ions create
positive current.  Negative ions can only create positive current if they
flow backwards relative to the flow of the positive ions.
William

Your "solution" is indeed simple if you assume the existence of a tangential potential difference in the liquid core. In my plebeian way, that's what I was trying to say. It wasn't until I read Brian Whatcott's piece (12 Jul 07:15:42) quoting David Barraclough that I saw how such a potential difference could be created.

But I still have a problem even with that explanation. David states that the Earth's fluid outer core is almost certainly in motion. In what frame of reference is this motion? With respect to the solid inner core? The solid surface? The CM of the Earth-Moon system? In using the sun's small magnetic field at the Earth to power the Earth's interior dynamo, David implies that the fluid core's motion is with respect to the sun. Well, is this "third requirement" motion (relative motion of the fluid core in the sun's magnetic field) due to the Earth's rotational motion, it's revolutionary motion, the vector sum of both, or some other?

poj
Collin County College