Re: Earth's Magnetic Field

Hi all-

05/23/97 Gary Glatzmaier (Los Alamos Natl. Lab.)
Southworth "3D Numerical Simulations of the Geodynamo: Magnetic Field
Reversals and the Earth's Inner Core."

This talk was part of our Friday Colloquium Series. I doubt that
Glatzmaier would agree with the last posting. Someone might want to check
and see if he has a home page. There are probably publications, also.
Regards,
Jack
I don't believe there is, at present, any consensus on the
precise mechanism of origin for the geomagnetic field.

An understatement. Consensus does't always mean understanding,
and I think it is fair to say that the limit of understanding
of the Earth's magnetic field is that it is founded in the
electric current ditribution within the metalic core of the
Earth.

Leigh

"I scored the next great triumph for science myself,
to wit, how the milk gets into the cow. Both of us
had marveled over that mystery a long time. We had
followed the cows around for years - that is, in the
daytime - but had never caught them drinking fluid of
that color."
Mark Twain, Extract from Eve's
Autobiography