Re: harmonics, anharmonic ...

John Denker, after elaborating on nonlinearity asked:
Does that answer your question?

Yes it did. And it provided more food for thought. Thanks.
I wish I could follow the relation between the specificity of
conditions in the LiNbO3 crystals and their nonlinearity.
For the time being I will just take your words for it (that the
factors mentioned result in easier to observe nonlinearity).
I guess one has to be a solid state physicist to see all this
clearly. Your general answer, however, was very clear.

Was the frequency multiplication first predicted theoretically
or was it introduced after the effect was found experimentally?
Ludwik Kowalski

... At the next level of detail: A typical nonlinear optics crystal
is lithium niobate. It has the perovskite crystal structure. It
is a ferroelectric. It is being operated not too far from its Curie

temperature.