Wandering

Jim Green laments(?):

Oh my! We have done it again -- we were talking about the resonant
oscillation induced in a bridge by a nearly constant wind and now we are
arguing about the details of playing a bugle. Talk about wandering!

That's the greatness of phys-l! The wandering emphasizes the fact,
which we never tell our students, that physics is basically simple,
and a very few simple physical concepts can be used to describe
many things. A reductionist atheist like myself might be tempted
to say that physics can, potentially, describe everything, but we
need not go beyond what has already been demonstrated to make our
point, and the omnipotent view is likely unjustified anyway.

Leigh