Re: Midterm Question - Sort of

As a saxophone player, I take offence to your "broad spectrum NOISE" statement,
but perhaps that's what others hear when I play my horn. Oh well.

Sam

Jim Green wrote:

At 06:18 PM 7/7/99 -0700, you wrote:
Somebody tutor me here: Several musical instruments are not harmonically
driven -- no?

I can't think of any musical instruments that *are* harmonically
driven, unless you count a speaker driven by an amplified synthesizer.
Resonance would be a distinct drawback in a speaker.

Leigh, the trombone, trumpet, bugle and I suppose other brass are clearly
harmonically driven -- musicians please speak up here -- ie the lips must
vibrate at the frequency of the desired note -- or maybe at an
harmonic. The instrument is merely a resonant cavity to amplify the sound
made by the lips -- as opposed to the winds and reeds, which amplify broad
spectrum noise in the case of the reeds and define the frequency in the
case of the winds.

However I am not sure of any of this. (:-)

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen
begin:vcard
n:Sampere;Sam
tel;fax:315-443-9103
tel;work:315-443-5999 or 443-9705
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Syracuse University;Department of Physics
version:2.1
email;internet:sampere@physics.syr.edu
title:Lab Manager
adr;quoted-printable:;;Syracuse University=0D=0ADepartment of Physics=0D=0A;Syra

cuse;NY;13244;USA
fn:Sam
end:vcard