Re: harmonics, anharmonics

At 08:06 AM 7/8/99 -0500, JACK L. URETSKY wrote

I think that "nonlinearity" is an incorrect term for what you
are describing. What we have is a driven system of amplitude y, described
by the equation:
y'' + (p^2)y = f(t).

You are discussing the forcing function f(t), as I understand it.
The system is quite linear in y. This is different from frequency doubling
in nonlinear optics, which occurs because the system is non-linear in the
amplitude y.

I discussed two cases: the swingset and the optical crystal. We agree
that the optical crystal has a response that is nonlinear in y. The
swingset is nonlinear for large amplitudes too, but we agree that in the
case in question, this nonlinearity is not the interesting nonlinearity.

If f(t) is not a "pure" frequency function like cos(wt), then it
will have many frequency components.

Right. That's what I said.

The case of pushing the swing, for
example, can be modeled by a square wave function with a single period
for the square wave.

There are many ways of pushing the swing. One could imagine a linear
coupling, such as a very long spring that provides a driving force
essentially independent of the position of the pendulum.

But as I said, there is an important nonlinearity in the coupling in the
case in question.

The Fourier decomposition of the square wave will
then have a spectrum of pure frequencies, as in your example.

Right.

But as long
as f(t) is not some function of y (or proportional to y) the system is, by
definition, "linear".

It depends on what you include in the definition of "system". I chose to
include the physics of the driving mechanism in my system and explicitly
identified the point in my system where the nonlinearity occured. If you
wish to draw a boundary that excludes this nonlinearity from your "system",
then what's left is linear. You draw your boundaries, I'll draw mine.

Cheers --- jsd