Re: Midterm Question - Sort of

Ludwik wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Ludwik Kowalski [mailto:KowalskiL@MAIL.MONTCLAIR.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 1999 1:18 PM
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU
Subject: Re: Midterm Question - Sort of

That is new to me (see below). I remember reading that wind gusts
nearly matched the natural frequency of the structure.
Ludwik Kowalski

Leigh Palmer wrote:.

On a related topic: It always bothers me when the Tacoma
Narrows Bridge collapse is cited as an example of resonance.
It's not. The wind was steady, more or less, and there was
no significant component at the bridge's resonant frequency.
It is a case of nearly pure DC excitation.

If I may, it's not the wind gust frequency, but the frequency at which
vortices in the downstream side were shed which nearly matched the bridge's
resonant frequency.

"Colleges and universities are places where those
fundamental activities -- taking care of the offspring,
revering the ancestors -- come together in a single effort.."
- Robert Pinsky, US Poet Laureate
George Spagna
Department of Physics
Randolph-Macon College
P.O. Box 5005
Ashland, VA 23005-5505
phone: (804) 752-7344 FAX (804) 752-4724
e-mail: gspagna@rmc.edu
http://www.rmc.edu/~gspagna/