Re: Momentum

On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Jim Green wrote:

Somebody state a problem and let's stick with it!

I've been reading the many posts regarding this problem. I'd like to at
least address what I believe was the initial problem, which has been
addressed many times already but not succinctly. The problem was started
by...

In the Cover Story of the Wed 30 June 99 USA Today, Edward Moeller, a
traffic engineer is quoted, "If you are driving 35 and hit someone coming
at you at 35, it's the equivilent of hitting a tree at 70."

Any hope of correcting this WRONG PHYSICS?
*******************

To me, the Edward's implication is that one's reference frame has no
bearing on the "effect". The same implication is present in Jack's
posting...

On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, JACK L. URETSKY (C)1998; HEP DIVISION

Does the worsity (how bad) of the collision depend upon the
reference frame in which it is observed?

The answer to Jack's question is no, it doesn't matter, but we can't apply
that to this problem. Yes, if two cars come together, each traveling 35
mph, we will observe the same damage as when we are in a reference frame
moving at 35 mph along with one of the cars (in which case one car is
stationary and the other is moving at 70 mph).

However, the "car-hitting-tree" example is not the same as following the
incident in a car-based reference frame. In the land-based reference
frame, the two cars come to rest. In the car-based reference frame, the
two cars do *not* come to rest. Thus, the car-based reference frame is
not equivalent to a car traveling 70 mph and hitting a tree, even though
in both cases we have a 70-mph object colliding with a stationary object.

I believe arguments regarding how close the two situations actually are
(taking into account friction, heat, sound, etc.) go beyond the original
intent of the post which only wanted to identify how Edward was
inappropriately equating the two situations.

P.S. Regarding Michael's post...