Re: "Faraday's Disk" which started it all

----- Original Message -----
From: William Beaty <billb@ESKIMO.COM>
To: <PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU>
Sent: Friday, July 02, 1999 3:31 PM
Subject: Re: "Faraday's Disk" which started it all
. . .
I'm still leery of the the rotating motion that each small bit of the
donut-magnet experiences, but perhaps this doesn't produce any EM effects.

I believe each magnetic bit m acquires an electrical polarization p. But,
in the rotational situation the numerous little vectors p are so arranged
that the net P presented to the outside world is zero. This is due to an
ORDERED, cylindrical arrangement; but the external result might be compared
(and contrasted) to a ferromagnet above its Curie point, where the zero net
external effect (magnetic in this case) is due to a RANDOM arrangement.

If the donut-magnet is not a thin shell, then the tangential speed of the
inner rim will be smaller than the tangential speed on the outer rim. As
a result, wouldn't the polarization give some bound layers of charge where
the charge on the inner rim is *less* than the charge on the outer rim?
Suddenly I see an obvious way out of this problem. The mismatched charges
might simply mean that the charge on the outer rim is balanced by opposite
charges distributed throughout the rest of the magnet, rather than a layer
of opposite charge existing exclusively on the surface of the inner rim.

I'm not sure I follow these interesting speculations, but let me repeat the
substance of a discussion we had on an earlier thread. These "surface
layers of bound charge" are calculational artifices invented to ease the
evaluation of the field/potential produced by a volume distribution of
dipole polarization. They not only ease calculations, they also allow an
attractive EQUIVALENT conceptual model. But it should be remembered that
they arose as a clever mathematical re-arrangement of the result of
evaluating the field/potential of a volume distribution of dipoles, thereby
expressing the results as the field/potential of an equivalent monopole
charge distribution. Any models upon which you may speculate to give the
same result may be equally useful - the actual volume distribution of
polarization in this rotational case may be equally served by a myriad of
"equivalent monopole charge distributions".

-Bob

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (em)
trebor@velocity.net