Re: physics of sound texts

Hi all-
Leigh writes, <inter alia>,
Try some of the physics of music texts instead. They have extensive
sections on sound, and the musical parts should also be of some
interest for nonmajors. I am not up on current texts, but I have
none that are really suitable for the student you suggest,
presumably innocent of mathematical ability.
********************
This reminds me. I remember Bill Nierenberg describing at a party
(in Berkeley, where else?) a one semester elementary "Physics for Poets"
course that he was then teaching. The entire course was based on the physics
of the violin string. It might be worthwhile to try and get the course notes.
James, is Bill still around the San Diego area?
Regards,
Jack

"I scored the next great triumph for science myself,
to wit, how the milk gets into the cow. Both of us
had marveled over that mystery a long time. We had
followed the cows around for years - that is, in the
daytime - but had never caught them drinking fluid of
that color."
Mark Twain, Extract from Eve's
Autobiography