Re: ORIGINAL simple magnets question

On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, Herb Schulz wrote:

At 12:15 PM -0700 on 6/27/99, William Beaty wrote:

Perhaps I'm confused. I thought that GR works in NONinertial frames.
Therefor the spinning disk-magnet can only be attacked via GR. (Perhaps
the GR goes away if we are close to the rim of a large magnet, so the
magnet doesn't appear to move if we travel along with it.)

Howdy,

I believe that E&M Theory and GR don't mix which had been a problem to be
solved for the better part of this century.

I've been told that GR has problems with rotating reference frames, and
that EM has problems with rotating magnets and capacitors. A portion of
the Russian physics community insists that Relativity must be extended to
treat the physics of spin, and they say that this was already done by
Einstein: the Einstein-Cartan Theory or ECT. This is all beyond me, of
course. Another portion of the Russian physics community says its all
pseudoscience.

I keep going on about the spinning magnet-disk because it seems to be the
simplest example which illustrates this "motional field" stuff.

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com