Re: spinning magnet without general relativity

At 12:15 PM -0700 on 6/27/99, William Beaty wrote:

I thought that GR works in NONinertial frames.

It does indeed, but it is not the *only* thing that works.

Therefor the spinning disk-magnet can only be attacked via GR.

No, GR is not the *only* way to attack.

(Perhaps
the GR goes away if we are close to the rim of a large magnet, so the
magnet doesn't appear to move if we travel along with it.)

That's more like it. For a disk spinning at ordinary (nonrelativistic)
speeds, all you need is special relativity in the *instantaneously*
comoving frame at each point, plus (if necessary) a classical treatment of
the obvious centrifugal effects. (It doesn't need to be a large disk, and
you don't need to be near the rim.)