Re: simple magnets question

I once demolished a Phys Rev Letter when its author presented it at
Cal. He had treated magnetic field lines like rubber bands in a Type
2 superconductor theoretical explanation, obtaining a non-maxwellian
result (unsurprisingly). It had got past the referees. Don't accept
anything you see in the literature until you understand it yourself.

One of my favorite examples of the rubber-band problem is to
consider what happens when two long bar magnets are placed coaxially
north pole to south pole with a small gap and one of them is started
in rapid rotation about the axis. The rubber band field lines between
the poles wrap up to give a very intense magnetic field in the gap.

Not!

Leigh