Re: ORIGINAL simple magnets question

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Michael Edmiston wrote:

I think I am beginning to understand William Beaty's original question.
Let me state it in a way that makes sense to me, and then William can
tell me if I understand him correctly.

Yes, that's it exactly. I would also add: give those magnets a large
diameter, so the reference frame becomes *almost* intertial, and also keep
the electron's velocity small (non-relativistic) so we perhaps could build
such a spinning magnet in the real world.

For the explanation of the problem, let's assume we are observers in
the lab frame.

(1) Let's take a very homogenous magnetic field, perhaps that between
the pole faces of an NMR magnet.

(2) Let's trap an electron (or other ion) in a cyclotron orbit inside
the magnet's gap. This is something that can be done experimentally.
People have trapped charges in cyclotron orbits for long times.

(3) Once the charge is trapped in it's orbit, lets begin rotating the
magnet about the same axis and in the same rotational direction as the
cyclotron orbit.

An intuitive view would be that the relative motion between the magnet
and charge has changed.

Exactly. In earlier messages when I said "relative to what?", I was
hoping the answer might be "electron motion relative to the iron atoms
which are creating the magnet's b-field in the first place." Maybe I was
mistaken, but I thought that people were answering: "relative to the
stationary b-field of the non-spinning magnet." But does "stationary
b-field" have meaning? The problem is solved if the answer involves the
atoms' relative motion.

In fact, if the magnet rotation could be
instantly brought to the same angular velocity as the charge's original
cyclotron orbit, we would say the relative motion between the magnet
and charge has ceased.

Right, and if the electron happened to initally have a tangential velocity
of 1 meter per second, then it might be physically possible to rotate the
entire magnet and observe what actually happens to the trapped electrons.
Do they see a transverse e-field and therefor alter their circular orbit?
Or do they ignore all rotary motions of the magnet? (Separate question:
if we *suddenly* start rotating the magnet, what will the electrons think
of the acceleration^2 of the dipoles in the magnet's surface adjacent to
the electron? )

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com