Re: X-Windows and PCs

I have a UNIX machine in my office and a Windows-95 PC at home. A number of
UNIX-based programs such as X-View and Mathematica require the X-Windows
environment to run. To get my e-mail when I'm at home, I telnet to our UNIX
system at school. Works fine, but that's text only. What I'd like to know
is whether there is any software that would allow me to run UNIX X-Windows
programs remotely at home from Windows 95 over a modem connetion? Even
better, shareware? Money is an object! If anybody has any experience doing
this, I would very much appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks.

Ken Morgan

Let me give you hope even if I can't provide many details being away from home
this year.

Since you are using telnet to connect to the remote system, that means you have
a TCP/IP link to the UNIX system, which is what you need. A minor challenge
will be to discover the TCP/IP address for your system, which will change each
time you log on in most dial up systems.

There is a free version of an X server available for Win95. It is distributed
by a company that makes a fancy geographic software system that needs X Windows
to run. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name! I tried it out on a 200MHz
machine and it worked great connected to a Linux system on our local network. I
suspect that an internet search for X servers for Windows will turn it up.

Running X over a 28k modem line might be pretty slow however, depending on how
graphic intensive your applications are. I did know someone who used X running
on Linux at home connecting to Sun workstations at work and was reasonably
happy.

Good luck. Sorry not to be of more help.

Tim Sullivan
sullivan@kenyon.edu