Re: Moment of Inertia or Rotational Inertia

As I look back in my notes and some texts over the years, it seems that
the two equivalent names "rotational inertia" and "moment of inertia"
have coexisted, more or less, peacefully for over thirty years.

Most of those with a more mathematical bent will probably like to call
it "moment of inertia" due to its connection to the 1st and 2nd moment
calculations that we all try to teach our students.

The 1st moment is the center of mass (and a close relative to the centroid):
M(total) Rcm(vector) = Integral[R(vector) * dm]
or in one dimension
M(total) Rcm = Integral[R * dm]

The 2nd moment is or "rotational analogue" of the rectilinear concept of
inertial mass:
M(total) R^2 = Integral[R^2 * dm]

For all but the physics major, these distinctions are just more "blah
blah". But for me, I like both terms at different times. When I'm
trying to emphasize the "rotational analogue" aspect, I prefer to use
the term "rotational inertia". When I'm trying to show a thread of
logic in the 1st moment (average or centroid) and the 2nd moment, I
prefer the term "moment of inertia"

Robert Carlson wrote:

I've been writing up some documentation for rotational motion and have always
referred to mr^2 as rotational inertia. When looking through Tipler, Serway,
Simon, Hibbeler, and Beer & Johnston, mr^2 is referred to as moment of
inertia. I've taught from these texts and not given it a second thought
until now. Wondering where I got the term rotational inertia, I went back to
my first physics text, Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday & Resnick. Sure
enough, there it was, rotational inertia. I then looked at the fourth
edition of Physics by Resnick, Halliday & Krane copyright 1992 and there it
was again, rotational inertia. Does anyone know why there is this split in
terminology? Is one more dated than another?

Thanks,

Bob Carlson

--
+=================================+=================================+
ERTEL SENDS.
/^\-/^\
/ \
| * |
|#########|
===========================
/ Prof. John P. Ertel \
/ USNA-NESA Faculty Rep \
/ veteran Eagle Scout \
+======================================================+
| JPE@nadn.navy.mil or JPErtel@BigFoot.com |
| Physics Department, 9C Office : 410-293-6657 |
| Michelson Rm-338 DSN : 281-6657 |
| 572 Holloway RD FAX : 410-293-3729 |
| U. S. Naval Academy Research : 410-293-2759 |
| Annapolis, MD 21402-5026 Home : 410-757-6618 |
|{Call Home-6618 to activate} homeFAX : 410-757-6619 |
+======================================================+
http:
begin:vcard
n:Ertel;Prof. John P.
tel;fax:410-293-3729
tel;home:410-757-6618
tel;work:410-293-6657
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Physics Dept., U. S. Naval Academy
adr:;;572 Holloway RD.;Annapolis;MD;21402-5026;
version:2.1
email;internet:jpe@nadn.navy.mil
title:Professor of Physics
x-mozilla-cpt:;3