Re: Introductory Undergraduate Physics Sequence

Regarding the allocation of time to topics in the non-calculus course,
sequence: It seems to me to be too easy to get bogged down in
kinematics, so I try to cut way back on kinematics problem solving and
limit myself to about two weeks, concentrating only on developing those
concepts of kinematics most relevant to dynamics. That leaves me time
for some thermal physics, which I consider too important in the overall
scheme of things to be entirely omitted.

Similarly in the second semester, devoting 6 weeks to electrostatics
seems excessive. But I have the same problem with tending to devote too
much time to optics (which I do first, partly because it fits well with
the concepts of mechanical waves, but mostly because the sequence of
labs that I use goes more smoothly that way). I have to struggle to
limit optics to about 4 weeks.

As for the "mile wide / inch deep" model that Robert Cohen also
mentioned, I'm not sure I object to that too strongly in this course
sequence. In my experience, the departments that require their students
to take this course do not expect the development of detailed knowledge
or specialized skills, but rather familiarity with many important and
useful concepts along with the "mental exercise" of taking a course that
requires lots of clear and careful thinking.

Fred Lemmerhirt
Waubonsee Community College

Robert A Cohen wrote:
.
.
.
.

Idea A: (approximately our current sequence)
first term: kinematics (4 weeks)
Newton's Laws and Gravitation (4 weeks)
Energy and Momentum (2 weeks)
Circular motion, SHM and some rotation (2 weeks)
Fluids (2 weeks)
second term:electrostatics (6 weeks)
DC circuits (3 weeks)
Magnetism and AC circuits (3 weeks)