Re: Introductory Undergraduate Physics Sequence

Reply to: RE>Introductory Undergraduate Physics Sequence

At Hillsdale College we have similar courses but different class times. For the algebra sequence we have a 5 credit hour class with 4 lecture/discussions per week with a two hour lab each week. The calculus course is a three semester course, each 5 credits, with three lectures per week and two labs per week each of which are two hours long. (Some weeks we do one less lab and substitute one more lecture in the calculus based class.) We are pretty happy with the arrangement and are covering most of the text in each class. Let me know if you have questions.
Jim Peters
jim.peters@ac.hillsdale.edu

--------------------------------------
My colleagues and I here at East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania
have been discussing the introductory undergraduate physics sequence here.
Actually, we have two sequences. One is for engineers, chemists and
physicists, and utilizes calculus. The other is for life scientists,
earth/space scientists and middle-school teachers, and does not utilize
calculus.

We are focusing mainly on the algebra-based sequence because we feel that
those taking the calculus-based sequence are more likely to have further
coursework that will fill in the gaps for us. However, information on
either is appreciated.

| Robert Cohen Department of Physics |
| East Stroudsburg University |