Re: CBL/ Mag Field Sensor/Horse and car

At 10:58 6/3/99 -0400, David wrote:
Regarding Herb's comment:
... . For example, in the
1940's the laser was called a solution looking for a problem to
solve. Since then we have found many applications for the laser in
our physics demos and labs. ..... and we keep finding more
applications all the time as we look for them. ...

Who was the prophet who said this in the 1940's anticipating the
invention of the laser in 1960?

David Bowman
dbowman@georgetowncollege.edu

Einstein is said to have recognized the existence of stimulated emission
in 1917 - and Townes with others implemented a maser in the fifties.
With Schawlow he soon mentioned the possibility of a similar device
at light frequencies. These folks and some soviets might reasonably
be called prophets. It is Maiman's ruby rod we associate with the
1960 birthdate
(Support from Enc Brit 15th ed. "Laser & Maser")

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK