Re: The Capacitor problem - once more

This reminds me (for some reason) of a little electrical puzzle:
which room gets warmer: the one with a 4 kilowatt electric heater
or the one with the milk churn that's being driven by a 3 HP motor?

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK

This problem has no simple answer.
3 HP is equivalent to .....
(746 W/HP) (3 HP) = 2238 W = 2.24 KW
thus, more energy is being applied per second by the 4 KW electric
heater ....

HOWEVER.....the room with the drIven milk churn and 3 HP motor will
get warmer if :

1) if it is operated for a much longer time than the electric heater

2) if it is in a much smaller room than the electric heater and both
devices operate for a relatively short time.

3) if it is in much warmer room than the electric heater at the start and
both devices operate for a relatively short time.

4) if the electric heater overloads its circuit and blows a fuse soon
after it is turned on

5 if the windows and doors of the room with the electric heater are open
and
those in the room with the churn are closed .......

etc etc etc

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where we have ingenous ways to use barometers to find the height of our
buildings)