Re: CBL/ Mag Field Sensor/Horse and cart

On Mon, 03 May 1999 13:37:58 -0600 Ken Fox <kfox@STEGA.SMOKY.ORG> writes:
We have been told that technology is going to revolutionize education
and now we are all acquiring engaging technology for use in the
classroom.
Now we are trying to figure out what to do with it. " I have this
hammer,
what can I do with it?" rather than "I have this nail and wonder what
hammer would be the best to use."

Is it our goal to teach the use of technolgy?

Instead of using the hammer and the nail anology for your example,
why not use something closer to the problem. For example, in the
1940's the laser was called a solution looking for a problem to
solve. Since then we have found many applications for the laser in
our physics demos and labs. ..... and we keep finding more
applications all the time as we look for them. It has revitalized
and enlivened the teaching of optics and made the concepts of
reflection, refraction, diffraction, and wave propagation more
interesting for the average student.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where the intense red beam from a HeNe laser has less
effect on our photometers than the beam of an ordinary flashlight))