Re: The Capacitor problem - once more

At 06:10 6/3/99 -0500, you wrote:
I have read the 3 published articles in AJP on the problem of
joining 2 charged capacitors - they all seem to miss the point that the
energy loss occurs in the act of joining the two capacitors. ...

Conclusion: In the original statement of the problem, the energy
went
into the person who joined the two capacitors, as I originally contended. In
the "C_3" model, the energy went into the kinetic energy of the capacitor
plates,
which had to be dissipated on collision. All of this is readily calculable.
Regards,
Jack

Jack has chosen a connection route which reduces the electromagnetic
and IsquaredR losses in favor of kinetic to thermal transfer.
It would be unrealistic to suppose that there is only one mode
for disposing of the 'lost' energy, in this or any other experimental
arrangement.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK