Re: latest scam: "X-RAY SPECS" for camcorder

I'm simply guessing in the dark (sorry, bad pun!) here, but rather than "IR
sensitivity" are we perhaps talking about transparence/translucence in the
IR domain? Some manufacturers advertise that you can get a tan through
their fabric, although it is opaque to visible light. If so, it still
seems likely to me that any infrared passing through the fabric would be
diffracted in a complex enough way to make any signal unrecoverable.

But rather than continuing to theorize in the absence of data, may we hear
from someone who has done experiments?

Ken

| Ken CAVINESS Physics at Southern Adventist University |
| caviness@southern.edu ESPERANTO = Lingvo internacia |
| http://southern.edu/~caviness/ E-o/English/Français/Deutsch |

Je 04:07 PM 6/1/99 -0500, Tim Sullivan x5830 skribis:

See below. No doubt it's a $0.50 infrared filter disk, paired with a
particular type of fabric which has some IR sensitivity.

((((((((((((((((((((( ( ( ( ( (O) ) ) ) )
)))))))))))))))))))))
billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com

Pardon my ignorance, but was this the secret behind those infamous
X-ray vision
glasses that used to be advertised in the back of comic books?

And how do you get IR sensitivity in a passive device? A single IR
photon can't
produce a visible photon by fluorescence. Can you have unstable chemical
bonds
triggered by IR photons?

The CCD sensors in the video cameras have pretty good IR
sensitivity.
Filtering out some/most of the visible gives you these 'unusual' images.

Chuck Britton Education is what is
left when
britton@odie.ncssm.edu you have forgotten
everything

Let me see if I can refine my question about IR sensitivity. I was responding
to Bill's mention of a "fabric which has some IR sensitivity." By "fabric"
I am
guessing that Bill means a textile of some sort coated by a dye or other
chemical. I understand (in general terms) how many white fabrics are treated
with chemicals that fluoresce in the UV thus giving them "UV sensitivity".
But
since fluorescence converts high energy photons into lower energy photons, I
was wondering about what process could give "IR sensitivity" to a fabric/dye
combination (my unclear "passive device" reference. Of course if you add
energy
as in a CCD there is no dilemma.)

So, are there fabrics with IR sensitivity and how do they work?

Tim

sullivan@kenyon.edu