Re: websites

At 14:39 29/05/99 +0000, Barlow Newbolt wrote:
Jim:
I'm going to hit this one more time and then I promise I
will remain silent. In talking about websites I am not
talking about cases where the style is awkward or the
layout confusing. I am talking about cases where the
physics is just downright wrong and may lead to confusion
on the part of students who are in school and students who
are out of school. The confusion may haunt them for a long
time and be very difficult to reverse.

One thing that html does is allow one to make something
that is very ugly or something that is very trivial look
impressive. This seems to throw many people off. They
think that if it looks organized a lot of thought must have
gone into it--not always true! WBN

and getting back to the original thread...

It's possible to put a lot of thought into something and still get it wrong!

I really think the best way is to exploit the bad sites by getting students
to look them up and find out what's wrong with them. Nobody is ever going
to get rid of all the bad information out there. The first step in
combatting it is to get our students to see that it exists. Seeing a flashy
website with wrong information can induce healthy skepticism.

Mark

Mark Sylvester
United World College of the Adriatic
34013 Duino TS