Introduction

Dear Teachers of Physics,

I will be a junior taking Physics at Fairhope High School in Fairhope,
AL this fall. I am trying to get a good start on my physics studies.
After finishing Chemistry last fall I started reading my father's college
texts in physics. Besides the fact that my father (a "retired" molecular
biologist and fellow of the Science Policy Institute turned teacher of
physics and astronomy) has thrown just about as much of this stuff at me
as he has baseballs, I have always loved physics and plan to study
physics, astronomy or engineering in college. I have completed reading
the chapters and worked the easier problems in Newtonian Physics and
have started in on Relativity and Quantum Physics. (Tipler: Physics) Just
so you know where my math ability is, I'll be taking Trig as a junior
this fall and then and calculus as a senior. I can do basic trig and
some integration.

I stole this address off my Dad's computer -- I assume he is a list
member (Hey Dad -- I want to grow up to be a nerd multi-lingual,
polymath, rugby player just like you! And btw can I have some money for
gas?) and I hope that you don't mind student questions. I promise only
to ask for clarifications on concepts -- not for specific answers to
questions or problems! Dad never gives me a straight answer anyway
unless I "try to work it out first" and I suspect this is a
teacher/scientist thing!

I have posed my questions in separate letters so that, if interested,
those replying can start a thread.

Sincerely,
Lee Wilmoth Lerner
Fairhope High School, Fairhope, AL USA Email via:
lw.lerner@juno.com
“But I don't have to know an answer. I don't feel frightened by not
knowing things,
by being lost in the mysterious universe....” -- Richard Feynman
"...unless, of course, I have a test" -- LWL

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]