Re: effective masses in silicon

I don't know what the differences between all the following are, or when to
use them, but

From Handbook Series on Semiconductor Parameters, vol 1, M. Levinshtein, S.
Rumyantsev, M. Shur, World Scientific, Singapore, 1996

For Silicon (As multiples of true electron mass, m 0)

Effective electron mass longitudinal 0.98 transverse 0.19
Effective hole mass heavy, 0.49 light, 0.16

Effective density of states in conduction band, M = 6 equivalent valleys,
each m c = 0.36, for a total of m cd = 1.18
(N conduction (cm^-3) = 4.82E15 M (m c)^3/2 T^3/2 or
(N conduction (cm^-3) = 4.82E15 (m cd)^3/2 T^3/2)

Electrons surfaces of equal energy are ellipsoids.
Effective mass of conductivity = m cc = 0.26

Holes in split-off band, m so = 0.24
Effective mass of density of states at 300 K m v = 0.81

Is there a semiconductor expert out there? I'm wondering what numbers
to use for the density-of-states effective masses of electrons and
holes in silicon. Kittel and Kroemer (chapter 13) give 1.06 and 0.58
times the bare electron mass for electrons and holes, respectively.
But my local solid-state physicist says 1.06 is way too high, referring
me to the book by Sze, which says the d-of-s effective mass is the
geometric mean of the effective masses in the three directions,
which it gives as .98, .19, and .19, respectively. The geometric
mean would then be only .33. (For holes there's hardly any
discrepancy.) Can anyone tell me why there might be such a
discrepancy, and which number I should use, say, in computing the
chemical potential of pure silicon at room temperature?

With many thanks,

Dan Schroeder
Weber State University
dschroeder@cc.weber.edu

Dr. Vern Lindberg 716-475-2546
Department of Physics Fax 475-5766
85 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester Institute of Technology Computer Haiku
Rochester, NY 14623
A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.