Symbolic Computation

I am a big user of MathCad and am mystified by its powers of symbolic
computation - a subset of Maple. (Other software packages also have
this capability.)

How do they do this? I would like to have at least an overview
understanding of how this is done. Is it some clever implementation of
a lookup table algorithm? Can anyone elaborate or point to a URL?

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (em)
trebor@velocity.net
http://www.velocity.net/~trebor