Re: Simulating radioactive decay.

On Fri, 14 May 1999, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

Robert A Cohen wrote:

... After one throw, there are (1-p) left. After n throws, there
are (1-p)^n left. We want to know the number of throws, n,
that leave us with 1/2 left: (1-p)^n = 1/2

Solve for n to get n = - ln(2) / ln (1-p)

Very good. Too bad I could not do this myself yesterday.

So, what is the discrepancy caused by using p rather
than ln(1-p)?

That is not what I was referring to. I was talking about
using lambda instead of p. For p=1/6, according to your
formula, the half-life n= 3.801 throws. Use this to calculate
lambda = ln(2)/n=0.245. That is the paradox. We started
with p=1/6 (each pencil has six sides) and we concluded
that the probability of decay per unit time is not 1/6.

My point was that we should not identify p with lambda.
By definition, lambda is the probability of decay per a
negligibly small unit time. On the other hand, p, is the
probability that a pencil will land with its label up. It is
also a probability of decay per unit time but that unit is
not small in comparison with n. Now I am using your
notation for the half-life, n; yesterday I referred to it as T.

"p" is the same as "lambda". A Taylor series expansion of ln(1-p)
gives...

ln(1-p) = - p - p*p/2 - p*p*p/3 - p*p*p*p/4 - ...

Thus, replacing ln(1-p) with p is only valid when

p/2 + p*p/3 + p*p*p/4 + ... << 1

Or, at least, p must be very small in comparison to 2

If p = 1/36, then the error shoud be about 1/72 or 0.0138 or 1.4%.

As Brian Whatcott pointed out...

T = ln(2) / (1/36) = 24.95 rolls
T = ln(2) / ln(1-1/36) = 24.61 rolls

The percent error is 100%x(24.95-24.61)/24.61 = 1.4%

Of course, one could then ask why we use
T = ln(2) / p
instead of the more accurate
T = -ln(2) / ln(1-p) ?

The answer, I believe, is that the expression comes from:

dN/dt = - p N = - lambda N

which assumes continuous changes in N, not discrete changes.

| Robert Cohen Department of Physics |
| East Stroudsburg University |
| bbq@esu.edu East Stroudsburg, PA 18301 |
| http://www.esu.edu/~bbq/ (570) 422-3428 |