[no subject]

To: britton@ODIE.NCSSM.EDU, PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU
Subject: Re: Cryogenics Bat & concrete flute

Responding to the message of Tue, 11 May 1999 11:57:26 -0400
from Chuck Britton <britton@ODIE.NCSSM.EDU>:

Whether the baseball goes farther or the trumpet sounds better is so
dependent upon the skill of the player... and we know some of this is
psychological... I don't know if scientists can do much verification
or
debunking in these areas. What do the rest of you think?

Since the trumpet/bat/... look identical for treated and untreated
cases, this is an ideal sort of candidate for double-blind testing which
would be accepted as definitive if done well.

Double-blind testing has been done with violins (Strad's vs. 'just
expensive' and with flutes of Platinum vs Silver.) It takes a VERY
well trained ear to 'appreciate' the subtle differences.

Brings to mind an interesting article in Scientific American last
year...March issue, maybe?...about the demand for tropical woods for
flutes. Included a discussion on actual effect of material on quality of
sound, but the discussion was in depth. Did anyone else see it?

Digby