Re: Earth's Magnetic Field

On Mon, 10 May 1999, Larry Smith wrote:

The Model 28000 Magnetizer is marked with a "N" on the right side and a "S"
on the left. When operated, the magnet produced causes a compass needle's
north seeking pole to point to the end placed into the "N" cavity. A
magnet produced by the magnetizer if suspended by a string woudl point the
end marked "N" to the south which is exactly opposite to the convention.

At least they are now sending an explanation. I bought one a few years
ago and was very confused for awhile when my magnets didn't seem to behave
the way they should. I'm one of those that called to complain. I didn't
get much satisfaction at the time.

Mervin Koehlinger
Physics Instructor
Concordia Lutheran High School