Re: Mercury spills

The sulfur trick works well on small, dispersed droplets, although you
should allow a day or so for the reaction to complete. Our safety
people use a proprietary product called Hg Absorb (Lab Safety Supply,
800-356-0783). It is a metal powder that rapidly forms an amalgam with
the mercury. The resulting solid is easy to pick up for
disposal. Having used both, I find the metal product a bit better. The

I have used powdered zinc to clean mercury spills.
Works much better than sulfur.