Re: Mercury spills

My understanding is sulfur is not an acceptable method
to clean-up mercury spills. The assumption was mercury would
bond to the sulfur chemically, and be less hazardous. This
reaction is slow, and is not effective.

As mentioned in other posts, a metal product should be used for
clean-up. I buy ours from Flinn Scientific 1.800.452.1261. They also
have a chemist on the staff (same phone number) who will provide
greater details.

< The discussion regarding the repair and maintenance of mercury
< barometers is very interesting, and the discussion regarding safe
< handling of mercury is especially so.
<
< What is the best method to clean up spilled mercury? A chemist
< suggested to me that I sprinkle powdered sulfur over the spilled
< mercury. The sulfur and mercury react to form mercurous sulfide
which
< can be swept up with a broom. Does anyone else have any other
ideas?
<
< One method NOT to use is a vacuum cleaner. Believe it or not,
several
< years ago a homeowner in Illinois tried to clean up spilled mercury
< using the household vacuum cleaner. Mercury vapors were blown
out the
< exhaust contaminating the house. Illinois EPA was eventually
called
< in. The house had to be demolished.
<
< Thanks.