Re: Problem with a Barometer

At 09:24 5/4/99 -0700, Roger Haar wrote:
Hi,

I have an odd problem with a mercury barometer. It
reads too large of an atomospheric pressure. Here at the U
of AZ the Atmospheric Science Dept has two nearby stations
from which I can get readings. These report something like
27.2 inches ( NOT corrected to sea level) and I get 29.5
inches.

I checked the scale using a meterstick and two agree
to within a millimeter which is the error in my reading of
the meterstick. I have checked for bubbles or breaks in the
mercury column but there are none visible. ....

Roger Haar

I guess it falls to me to ask the potentially offensive
or insulting questions and make the corresponding observations:
- I am after all an outsider here:

1) The height of interest is the distance from the lower to the
upper mercury surface.
It is not enough to rely on the default surface level of a wooden,
leather or glass reservoir, no matter how wide its surface area.

2) the stick must be strictly vertical. A plumb bob will verify this.

3)If these two criteria are met, then we can say confidently
that either the mercury column is 'sticky' with impurities,
or it has alloyed with a less dense material.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK