Re: CBL/ Mag Field Sensor/Horse and cart

--- Ken Fox wrote:
I read this query and the helpful responses. I could
not help pondering on
the nature of the question and wonder if the cart is
preceding the horse.
We have been told that technology is going to
revolutionize education and
now we are all acquiring engaging technology for use
in the classroom. Now
we are trying to figure out what to do with it. " I
have this hammer, what
can I do with it?" rather than "I have this nail and
wonder what hammer
would be the best to use."

Is it our goal to teach the use of technolgy?

Don't get me wrong. I am not anti-tech. The right
tool for the right job.
Will this tool make understanding more thorough? If
I add more technology,
what concepts will disappear from my curriculum?
There are still only
180 teaching days, if we are lucky.

I undrstand your statement Ken, but my thought in terms of the use of
technology is the fact that it allows us to do activities involving a
variety of different concepts (some that we currently teach and others
that we do not). I look at the new technology and say, "Hey, look, now
I can actully see data which provs this as well as collect it rather
than taking the numbers in a book for granted." I hope that the
students will like the ability to learn the concepts even better
through doing activities involving the use of new technology.

Shawn