Re: Virus attack

It would be desirable to place the responsibility for the
"virus testing" on those who control mailing servers,
not on individual subscribers.

And yet it is the individual subscribers who are primarily
responsible for the spread of vires. Besides, except for obvious
situations (I think the recent Melissa virus was stemmed somewhat by
sendmail MTAs), it is not feasible for mail servers to do this job.
MTAs were never designed for this sort of job, and would not do it
well.

I've been on the internet for quite a while, longer than many, but
certainly not as long as quite a few others, and have never used a
virus detection program except rarely (and never afflicted by a
virus, which amazes some, and was unaffected by Melissa or Happy99,
despite being a constant internet user during the time).

For the record, I do not advocate that people not use virus checkers.
But far from being an example of a sheltered individual, my
experience is evidence that prudence and learning about the
technology one uses goes a long long way toward making the technology
experience relatively trouble-free.

Stefan Jeglinski