Re: AP Tests

Digby Willard wrote:

As for AP, etc. tests, I have really mixed feelings about them. In
general, I don't think it's appropriate to structure a first-year
high-school course around them...certainly not in physics. If I'm not very
careful, the focus becomes learning physics for the test instead of
learning physics because its fascinating and practical. In particular, I
think the AP C tests -Mechanics and E&M- are not appropriate for first-
year courses, advanced or not, because students come away with the
impression that that's all there is to physics.

Maybe if you just did Mechanics AP and other stuff. Does Dan Burns care to
comment here?

Digby Willard
Central High School
St. Paul, MN

I have had success with teaching first year physics students (mostly high
school juniors) at a level consistent with the AP Mechanics C test. It allows
for a slower pace so less capable students have time to let things sink in.
The addition of more difficult problems challenges the more capable students,
some for the first time in their high school careers. The slower pace allows
me to do almost 30 labs throughout the year. I always have time to go off on
tangents that interest my students. Since most students have not had calculus
I have to teach them a little. This results in a great review unit at the end
of the year. Since I switched from trying to teach the AP Physics B I have had
my sign-ups double. I have 120 students signed up for AP Physics next year
(some won't qualify). I typically have 3 sections of 30 each. About 65 will
take the AP exam and 45-48 will score a 3 or higher. This is not bad since
most of the other students taking this test have had more than one year of
physics. I get good feedback from students who take physics at Berkeley,
Harvey Mudd, Cal Poly SLO, Caltech, and many Ivy League schools. I would
encourage other high school teachers who are faced with the task of teaching
AP Physics as a first year course to try this approach.

Dan Burns
Los Gatos High School