IC testing

Hello there,

I have a few challenging questions on the testing of integrated
circuits (ICs for short);

1. to measure the current consumed by a device which is on
a pcb system board. i have no option to cut the board.
I am looking for ways to measure the current like we do it
on ac lines with tong testers; the difference here being
the current is mostly dc but with little spikes due to
different states of the microcontroller at different times.
can hall effect sensors be used for such measurements?

2. if the device consumes 100milliamps in steady state, is
it possible to tell the transient current value that the
power supply must be able to source, say 200ma ? if not
what are the necessary data needed to find the transients.

3. the device is supposed to operate at 70 deg C; due to the
short test times, the device may not reach the steady state
temperature fast due to the thermal resistance of the package.
is there a simple way to measure this resistance.

I would like to hear the suggestions or comments from the list

thanks,
Jaya
Siemens Microelectronics
singapore