Re: Image Enhancement

At 18:28 4/28/99 -0400, you wrote:
I hadn't realized that NIH did not make the PC port of IMAGE. It turns
out that Scion Corp. has made the free port. Download available at

http://www.scioncorp.com/frames/fr_download_now.htm

Scion makes frame-grabbers for both Mac and PC...makes sense they would
try to get access to the bigger Wintel community!

See also the About NIH Image page:

http://rsb.info.nih.gov/NIH-Image/about.html

David Kulp Thinking Different since 1984.
david@nuclear.physics.gatech.edu

This handy note reminds me that GAtech has a very respectable presence
on the net. It's sad that Stanford seems to use the net as a marketing
opportunity (buy our software package!), and MITs presence is also very,
very mild.

On the topic of graphics, Paintshop Pro can hook to a scanner as a
data source but its natural mode if I recall is .bmp (bitmaps)
and a better format for web transmission at least is the .jpg
(format due to the Joint Internet Photographic Group)
However Paintshop does not do well with compressing in .jpg format.

For this purpose, another shareware product can convert between
multiple formats and compresses .jpgs to 1/5 even 1/10 of the file
size you would otherwise have. It's called E-Z Viewer, and does not
help its reception with a slogan pasted across displayed images in the
(crippled) shareware version. But the conversion DOES compress well -
and doesn't leave extraneous advertizing on the compressed image.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK